Saturday 27 September 2014

***Please Read The Latest Interview by Harsh.TV With - Owl Eyes*** Thank you please RT






Q.Tell us about who you are & What you do? 
A: My name is Ethan P. Teel. I am the leader of my band/solo-project, "The Owl-Eyes." I make the music from my head into melodies, beats, rhythms and rhymes. I am the drummer and lead singer, but I record all the instruments for the songs in the studio. In other words, everything you hear in my recordings is all me. From drums, to vocals, lead guitars, bass, and pianos....I play all that jazz. 

Q: Describe your Music in 5 words 
A: Psychedelic Proto-Punk with Alternative Metal. 

Q.Please give your Fans 3 Fun Facts About you
A: 
1. I had my head glued back together once. There's a bridge my father and I built when I was 8 that ran to my grandma's house through the woods over this creek (it literally was over the river and through the woods to my grandma's house). I tried balancing on the rails and I feel off. My head landed on some huge rock and I was rushed to the hospital. Usually they would use stitches, but I was freaking out so bad because I never been hurt like that in my life (total sheltered child; BMX freaked me out. LOL) so the doctors used this glue in this vial. They literally cracked it over my wound and glued my head back together. No wonder I'm so crazy.

2. I am a Christian with a fully dedicated life to Christ. I believe that it is my duty while I’m here on this earth to serve others. HOWEVER, I am a full advocate for gay rights and I look forward to more legalization of Marijuana.  

3. I write fan fiction. Avatar the Last Airbender/Korra is my jam. Along with that, I love Teen Titans, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Artemis Fowl (the book series that started my fan fiction career). And folks, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but some of my stuff gets straight up STEAMY!  

Q. What makes your Voice Stand Out from other Artists? 
A:My closest music loving friends often think I sound like Black Francis (lead singer of the Pixies) and Syd Barret (founding member of Pink Floyd. He was only there for their first album though). I can do melodic/good singing as self evident from my song "Hopeless," but I got these weird inflections in my voice that make certain words sound....weird. The best example of my voice at it's weirdest is on "Schizo Girlfriend,” and “Wild Child,” (the songs). The weird voice is where people draw the Black Francis comparison. It's super great! I think singers with unique voices that still hit the notes are 100 times better than just "good," singers that fade into obscurity because they sound like everything else out there. In this game, you don’t want to be another number; you want to be heard like no one else. You need to be different. You need to be you. 

Q. Do you Write Your Own Material? 
A: ALL OF IT! All the lyrics you hear me speak, all the guitar parts that weep, to the fills on the drums that sweep; I write/perform/record them all. 

Q: What are your Current projects that you are working on? 
A: The Owl-Eyes so far is the only major project I'm in. Since I'm in college (McNally Smith College of Music in St.Paul, MN) I'll have plenty of opportunities to join new things. For example, I'm hoping to be a regular in this open mic blues jam band hosted at the school every tuesday night. I performed in one so far and it was a lot of fun. Also, I’m working with MADD Oso (an EDM/pop artist from the Minnesota area) on one track. So far, it’s going pretty well. 

Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? 
A: Recording a debut album. Playing shows at least once a month. Possible north american tour? *Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge* You can never really tell what lies next for you in the entertainment industry. The entity as a whole is like vapor. One minute you're on top of the world, next minute you're in a gutter. But as long as I'm playing music for a living, I'll be fine. I can't really worry about what I want to be 5 years from now. Because if I want to accomplish those future goals, I gotta live for today. And that's what I plan to do while I'm in college. 

Q: Where do you get your inspiration from? 
A: I get my inspiration from a multitude of different things. I enjoy reading the works of Hunter S. Thompson and Carl Jung. I'm also a huge fan of Stand Up comedians like Bill Hicks, Christopher Titus, Doug Stanhope, Donald Glover, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin. My music (both lyrically and musically) is basically a more condensed and lined out version of my thoughts. But the thing is, is since I’m influenced by multiple different things, all these ideas float about my head to the point where when I get down to writing the music on paper, sometimes even I don’t know where I get inspiration from. It’s usually whatever strikes me I guess. But if I could somehow make sense of it…. each track is basically one aspect of my personality (or one thought I had, or an idea, or an emotion I am feeling) blown up into hyperbolic levels of craziness. I am indeed a “Wild Child.”  

Q: Who would you rather listen to UK or US Music? 
A: For me it depends on what time frame we’re talking about. From around the 1940’s to the end of the 1950’s I definitely would’ve listened to more American artist. This would’ve been the time frame that we had artist like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly….the whole shebang. 

But around the 1960’s I would’ve started listening to more British artist. The Beatles, The Animals, the Kinks, Cream, The Yardbirds, I really would’ve been into those guys.

Then by the late 60’s, I’d be back into American artist like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Grateful Dead, and The Doors.

The 70’s would’ve gone back to the Brits: David Bowie, Pink Floyd, King Crimson.

Late 70’s is a mixed bag because of Punk: The Ramones, Iggy Pop, Black Flag, and The Misfits are all American; yet the Clash, the Damned, The Sex Pistols, and Joy Division are all from the great UK.

See what I mean? It all depends on the time span you’re talking about. I mean, let’s look at our generation for a moment. From 2000 to 2010, America had it bad. I wasn’t well tuned into what the UK was doing (cause I was a child, after all), But we all the generic “corporate rock” thing going on, so UK won by default. But now we got these great new artists like Chance the Rapper and Childish Gambino that have just taken over everything. For our current time, I’m digging more American artist than UK artist. However, I believe that the UK has the best record label working right now: XXL Records. 
I told you all I was a huge music geek, right? 

Q:What Artist do you listen to? 
A: Here are my top 20 artist of all time (in order from least to greatest) and my favorite song by them. 
20. The Rolling Stones - “Let it Loose,”
19. The Kinks - “Apeman.”
18. The Pixies - “Where is my Mind?”
17. Lamb of God - “Grace.” 
16. Dream Theater - “Octavarium.”
15. Slipknot - “New Abortion.”
14. Death Grips - “Takyon.”
13. Sonic Youth - “Drunken Butterfly.”
12. Gorillaz - “Feel Good Inc.”
11. Led Zeppelin - “The Rain Song.”
10. Tool - “Lateralus.”
09. Nine Inch Nails - “The Good Soldier.”
08. Rush - “Subdivisions.”
07. Mewithoutyou - “Oh Porcupine.”
06. The Black Keys - “I Got Mine.”
05. The Flaming Lips - “Lightning Strikes the Postman.”
04. Primus - “John the Fisherman.”
03. Radiohead - “Climbing up the Walls.”
02. The Beatles - “I am the Walrus.”
01. Pink Floyd - “Echoes.” 

Q:Who influences your music? 
A: All the artists I’ve listed above; plus the stand-up comedians, authors, and philosophers I listed earlier; they have all influenced my music. My number one musical idol is Roger Waters. The fact that he came up with the entire concept of “The Wall,” album AND stage show…it’s mind blowing. Plus the fact that he wrote 90% of all the music and wrote 100% of all the lyrics from that album just strikes me to my knees every time I think about it. The dude’s a legend. 

In my personal life, Jesus has influenced me as a person so I could say that he influences my art/my business (my music) as well.  

People in my personal life that have influenced me the most are of course my parents. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for them. 

Q: Please describe your fashion style in 5 words? 
A: Bitches be hating the Plaid .

Q: How can people Contact you & Collaborate with you? 
A: All my contact info is listed on my website (theowleyes.com) You can also find my Facebook page, YouTube Page, Soundcloud and Twitter on the banner of my website as well. Just click the logo and it will take you directly too it. You can find my phone number on my Facebook page as well. AND, if you’re in the Minesotta/St.Paul area…holla up! Music is my life and I like to meet people who feel the same as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment