Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Nitasha does an interview with DJ and music producer Sarah Young





I-Am-Sarah-Young.jpg



Nitasha does an interview with DJ and music producer Sarah Young. She’s been featured on MTV, The Guardian, as well as others for her talent which is paving the way for music that has a twist such as Moombahton. Don’t know what that is? Read on! Your ears will thank me later

Describe Sarah Young in 6 words.

Creative. Fearless. Ambitious. Kind. Indulgent. Generous. 

You have been opening people’s ears to Moombahton. Describe this genre of music to those who have been unlucky enough to not have heard it yet.

It's a hybrid of genres but it's Dutch house and reggaeton paired together at a 108-112 bpm. Can be wine and grind music or can be more hard core head banging.

Describe your music taste in one sentence.
Really really really schizophrenic and varied.

Where would be your favourite place in the world to DJ? 

The middle east or Jamaica, these are the two places I would love to visit because I have such a connection to the music, but to perform in either would be a dream.

As well as DJing, you have also been producing your own music as we have seen from your “I Am Sarah Young” EP out with Adidas. What’s your favourite tune off the EP?

I love ‘Dumbahton’ because I combined like 4 of my favourite genres in one tune. In theory it shouldn't have worked, but the overall effect is something that feels international and really non-genred, which I like.

You collaborated with some great people on your EP such as Lioness. If you could work with one artist or producer from the UK and one from the US, who would you collaborate with and why?

I would love to work with Diplo as I'm a big fan of his work and what he has done for global bass is amazing. From the UK, I would really love to collaborate with Labrinth as he kinda does it all and not only produces but sings and writes too like me so it would be interesting to see what would happen and the combination of different styles! But there's so much international talent I'd love to team up with! 

When can we expect to see another CD release and what type of music will you be exploring?

Next EP is out around July, haven’t got a release date yet but hold tight! I'm going much more house / electronic this time, there's a dirty hip hop track in there and a tropical / tribal influenced dance track! 

How can we keep up-to-date with your latest news?

Website is being re-launched so I'm really excited for that, Twitter/ Instagram/ Facebook all that jazz! 

Now it’s time to give these questions a spin for the ‘Quick Fire, Nothing To Do With Anything’ round.

Heels or Flats?
HEELS!!

If you could be any type of food, which would you be?
I’d be a coconut / peanut butter mochi, if you know what that is, props!

Outdoors or Indoors?
Indoors!

Where’s your favourite place in London? 
Laudree in Harrods!

Hot tea or Cold ice-cream?
Hot tea

What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you during a gig? 
The security never believe I'm there to DJ so the malarkey of trying to convince them I'm there to work is pretty annoying.

Red or Purple?
Purple! 

Once I ...fell... but... I got up... and it just got... messy... so I never went back. 

Check out Sarah on Soundcloud and let us know what you thought!



No comments:

Post a Comment